Outlook 2007 - Default Mail Folders

Friday, October 10, 2008

If you send and receive email, you'll want to organize your mail in a way that makes sense to you and helps you locate stored email quickly. Likewise, you'll want a quick and easy way to separate unwanted junk mail from the messages that are important to you.
Outlook makes organizing your mail easy by using folders that can receive and store your mail according to the rules you establish.
You can view your Outlook window by simply clicking on the Mail button. By default, messages will appear on the right side of the Outlook window, but you can reconfigure Outlook to display your messages on the bottom of the Outlook window. To reconfigure the Outlook message window, choose View > Reading Pane and select Bottom. This will place your messages at the bottom of the Outlook window, with the message index directly above it. Folders and links to other utilities, like the calendar will appear on the left side of the Outlook window.
Outlook has a set of default folders, which you cannot delete or change. They are:

• Deleted Items

• Drafts

• Inbox

• Junk E-mail

• Outbox

• RSS Feeds

• Sent Items

• Search Folders
Numbers beside each folder show you how many unviewed items are in each folder. Folders that contain unread items will be highlighted in bold text as well. To view items in a folder, select the folder.
The message index will provide a list of items in the folder. As with the folder list, items that have not yet been viewed will be highlighted in bold text. The message index will also show you an icon that looks like an unopened envelope beside messages you have not yet read. The index will also indicate priority items, any alarms or reminders you have assigned to the message, the name of the sender, the subject line of the email, the date on the message, the size of the message in kilobytes or megabytes, and any categories you have assigned to the message. You can also flag a message that you want to handle at a later time. The flag serves as a visual reminder that additional tasks associated with the message are pending and you should not delete the message without handling the outstanding items.

5 comments:

JM November 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM  

I created an imap account. It did not come with the list of default folders you listed. Not idea why not.

When I sent a test email, it asked to select the sent mail folder where the sent mail would be kept. The only option was the 'default' for outlook, which appears to be something like 'outlook.pst'.

Once this is done, I think it starts saving my mail, calendar, contacts, etc. in the default folders under Personal Folder, which is what outlook.pst is called, and not under the imap account I just created.

This is quite confusing.

I want to have the default folders you describe, but can't seem to find how to get Outlook to create them. I also want the info stored in the imap folders and not the pst folder.

Ideas?

Mike October 31, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

I want a tool which can convert ost to pst, i have a tool for pst repair
Repair outlook pst file tools
to repair pst file. I have deleted my email, but still i recover all my emails, www.repair-outlook-pst-file.com. Now i have problem with ost, please tell a tool to convert ost to pst.

Alexis April 29, 2010 at 1:40 AM  

Today I have seen a lot of tools in the Internet. But one of them liked me and I downloaded it. To my great surprise the application solved my problem quite rapidly and without payment as I kept in mind - convert ost file to pst file. I advised it some of my relatives and they presented me some interesting things.

sisyphus June 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM  

help. used to have an UNVIEWED EMAILS folder in outlook. But in this new copy i have of outlook i cannot find out how to get this folder into my favorite folder

sisyphus June 14, 2010 at 3:09 AM  

help. used to have an UNVIEWED EMAILS folder in outlook. But in this new copy i have of outlook i cannot find out how to get this folder into my favorite folder

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP